Monday, February 16, 2009

And So It Begins... IRONMAN!


You may have been listening this morning when I made the announcement on the air - I am trainging for Ironman Canada. This is easily the most daunting physical challenge I have ever attempted, but there's a very good reason for it.

Like many of you, my life has been significantly affected by cancer in recent years. If you've been in the BC Cancer Agency or similar treatment facilities, you know that there are so many people that need help in battling this disease.

After watching these people confront the challenge of their lives, it has inspired me to challenge myself. I will train to swim 3.8km, cycle 180km and run 42km on August 30th in an effort to raise money for cancer treatment.

In the next couple of days, I will have more information for you. There will be a link to a donation page should you choose to support this cause, and there are some exciting announcements on the horizon with regards to some corporate sponsorships.








Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scotty - Congratulations with taking on the challenge that is IRONMAN! And doing it in unison with raising money for a very noble cause is very inspiring. Best of Luck with both worthy endeavours! I pledge to donate $100 for your cause once you have the link up. I know you know how to train, after all I believe you said you have already run Boston, so I am sure you will figure out how to train for Ironman. But I spoke to many Ironmen after I completed Ironman Canada in 2006, and I do have a couple of tips that you may find useful. 1st - the HILLS! Many people do not train enough for the hilly conditions that make up the Penticton bike course. I focused hard on hills in my training and it paid off big time! 2nd - the HEAT! I live on Vancouver Island, so like Vancouver, it doesn't get nearly as hot as it can in Penticton. I trained for the heat by (1) being able to take in a minimum 750ml of gatorade every hour during the bike and the run, and (2) I even kept layers of clothes on during training to always feel the heat! On race day it hit over 30 deg C and I was ready for it! 3rd - Salt Intake - The Ironmen I spoke to after the race wished they had managed their salt intake better. Ironman is not a 3 hr Boston run, it is 3 to 4 times longer than that, and bodies lose a great deal of salt which greatly hurts performance. Those that learn to take in the right amount of salt during the race just do better! Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, and remember to ENJOY the RACE - it will be a great day for you!!! Steve