Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Back In the Saddle

All right... I've been downright negligent with this blog over the last two months, but that all stops now. Here's what's been happenin'. December was, well, December. Holidays, family, skiing and all the great indulging in good food and drink just like the rest of you.

January, on the other hand, was all over the map. Bmac and I took the show on the road to Mazatlan for a week. Good times were had by all and it looks like we're doing another Mexico trip next year (get your tickets NOW!). Upon my return, I had the first surgery of my life when I had arthroscopy on my right knee. No big deal, just a bit of torn meniscus, but it's pretty cool watching your own surgery. I elected to take a local anesthetic instead of a general, so that I could watch all the slicin' and dicin'. Bottom line, I'm back running again and feelin' good, so here's what's on my mind these days.

Canucks
Call me a homer if you want, but I still think this group makes the playoffs. The resolve I've seen from Markus Naslund to Alex Burrows in the past week makes me think they'll play hard enough to earn the requisite amount of points prior to getting healthy. Once they get a few bodies back, this team makes the post-season cut with Roberto Luongo being the biggest reason.

Shaq
So many people are ripping the Suns decision to trade Shawn Marion and Markus Banks for the Big Diesel. Two things: 1) Marion is extremely talented in every area of the game (despite his grade 3-looking shooting stroke), but he wasn't happy in Phoenix anymore; and 2) the Suns have tried to win in the playoffs without a true center for three straight years and it hasn't worked. Unfortunately, this year wasn't going to be any different. Shaq might not end up being the answer, but kudos to Steve Kerr and Mike D'Antoni for getting a guy that can defend the big-time big men in the West.
footnote
: Shaq apparently told Steve Nash, "I won't let you down." He's a tough man to beat when he's motivated.

Roger Clemens
Think he's more pissed at Brian McNamee or Andy Pettite for opening their respective mouths? The Rocket can deny, deny, deny all he wants, but if this "evidence" that McNamee has turned over has any credibility whatsoever, he's in trouble with way more people than the Baseball Writers of America. A spot on the doorstep to Cooperstown sounds a lot more comfortable than one in a jail cell with an angry man named Tito. But Pettite's decision to come clean after he'd been called out for using HGH hurts Clemens as much as anything. Are we to believe that McNamee was telling the truth about one former pinstriper but not the other? What could he possibly have to gain by doing that? Innocent until proven guilty, but my gut tells me that Clemens is paddling against a pretty strong current.

Hugh Hefner
He's 81. His playmate girlfriend is 28. They are trying extremely hard to have a baby and telling anyone who'll listen. God bless America. Is there anyone out there that believes Hef actually wants another kid (he's got 4 already)? I'm thinking this has a whole lot more to do with the trying than the baby itself.

That's all for now, but as always, feel free to drop me a line with your 2 cents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the morning show Rinty, would like to see you blog more though! Obviously you're a pretty busy guy. Any deadline deals for the Canucks this year? They probably won't be sellers, even if they are a few points out by the time the 26th rolls around, wouldn't you agree? Asking price is too high for the Sundin's of this league, especially since (let's be honest) if the Canucks can get into the playoffs, what legitimate chance do they have at the cup? One player won't take this team over the edge. I would rather see Nonis continue to stockpile his prospects, and actually build some depth on the farm. As we have seen this year, it helps a lot when you have some options down there with all the injuries on the back end they've had. I think they should just stay their course, Nonis will no doubt be making some big shake ups in the offseason anyways...

Keep up the good work Scotty!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing Hef has a lot more than 4 kids running around, given all the hotties he's been with through the years!! :-)